Friday, August 7, 2009

Chocolate and Cherries....I AM IN HEAVEN!

Have you ever had this chocolate cobbler at the Crackerbarrel Restaurant? OMG....talk about decadent! If you love chocolate and cherries together (think Black Forest Cake), this is awesome and so much easier than making a cake! It is rich and chocolate-y so my suggestion is to not serve this with an overly rich and heavy meal! This is also a twist on the usual cobblers like peach or apple. I like making this around Valentine's Day for my honey who loves both of these ingredients. And me, I love chocolate!! I think this is as close to the dessert at Crackerbarrel and you can enjoy it right it your own home.
Cherry Chocolate Cobbler
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cups butter
6 oz. semi-sweet chocolate morsels
1/4 cups milk
1 egg
1 21-oz. can cherry pie filling
1/2 cup nuts, finely chopped
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and butter; cut with pastry blender until crumbs are the size of large peas.
Melt chocolate morsels over hot, not boiling water. Remove from heat and cool slightly at room temperature about 5 minutes.
Add milk and egg to melted chocolate and mix well. (It helps to temper first.)
Blend chocolate into flour mixture.
Spread cherry pie filling in bottom of 2-quart casserole. Drop chocolate batter randomly over cherries. Sprinkle with chopped nuts.
Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Serve warm with fresh whipped cream.

3 comments:

  1. Simple, delicious, a favorite pairing. Cant beat this! Looks decadent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My, oh, my! My mouth is watering at thought of this. Copying and saving for a special occasion.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Linda -
    What a fabulous dessert! Combining two of my favorite things in the world: cherries and chocolate. Why haven't I made this dessert yet??? I might make it tomorrow! I can't wait.

    XOXO
    jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.