Wednesday, September 9, 2009

I Selected Dark Blue

Well, how exciting! My foot is broken. I ended up going for an X-ray when things weren't getting better and sure enough, I have a break on the side of my foot. The solution? I am in a walking cast...RIGHT UP TO MY KNEE! With all the pretty colors to choose from, I opted for dark blue for my cast. It is still RIGHT OUT THERE, but less so than neon pink or green! So here I am for the next 6 weeks, hobbling around. Now the husband can wait on me.
This is what I look like only in blue.

Anyway, I found this neat recipe in the September 09 issue of Semi-Homemade with Sandra Lee. I think it is something that my family will like and I plan to make it when they are all here in the next couple of weeks.

It is a Sausage, Egg and Cheese Casserole. While the recipe calls for heavy whipping cream, I am going to use Low-Fat Half and Half. I don't think it will compromise the flavor or consistency. And I am also going to use breskfast turkey sausage.

The photo in the magazine makes me want to dig right in and it is so easy to make. It would also be nice on a brunch table or for company, without spending a lot of time. The recipe calls for fresh thyme. I like the sage -iness of breakfast sausage so I might toss a touch of that in as well.

But, I wanted to share this with you, because I think it sounds like a hearty way to start a nice chilly fall day before getting out to rake the leaves! Just don't eat too much!

Sausage, Egg and Cheese Biscuit Casserole
1 (1 lb. pkg ) bulk breakfast sausage
1 cup shredded Italian 5-cheese blend
1 (8 oz) pkg cubed Velveeta cheese
4 large eggs
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 Tbsp dried thyme
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 (10.2 oz) can refrigerated buttermilk biscuits
Garnish with fresh thyme leaves
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 9-in. square baking dish with PAM and set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet cook sausage over medium high heat, stirring occasionally, until sausage is browned and crumbly. Drain well on paper towels. Cool.
Sprinkle sausage and cheeses into prepared dish.
In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, thyme, garlic salt and pepper; pour over sausage mixture.
Arrange biscuits evenly over top. Bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are golden brown. Cover with aluminum foil, and bake 15 minutes longer.
Let stand for 15 minutes before serving. Garnish with fresh thyme if desired.



12 comments:

  1. What a great breakfast meal. It has the added advantage of being easy in the great scheme of things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh so sorry about the foot. Get well soon and enjoy your time being waited on.
    Can wait to read what the family thought of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Linda! You poor thing! I didn't know you had hurt your foot. Ouch! Take it easy my friend!

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh poor foot! :(

    Casserole sounds delish. I make one similar to that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Linda...I am so sorry! And yet you are still cooking away!! This recipe sounds wonderful! It's a new one for me, too. I have not seen biscuits used in breakfast casseroles, so I will try this one for sure!! Enjoy your weekend...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda I am so sorry you broke your foot but lucky for us you are still cooking up a storm. Heal up soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fun breakfast! Hope you heal fast.

    I love your header, it's just beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, dear! A broken foot. Ouchy ouchy ouchy.

    Glad you are still able to get about and share a tasty breakfast recipe with us! I bought those referigerated biscuits a while back (terrific sale on them, couldn't resist!!) so this looks like a fab way to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You poor thing, get well soon..

    This sounds like a great breakfast savory treat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh bummer, so sorry to hear that. I've never broken anything before but I'm sure it's not fun. The hubs wait on you hand and "foot" ha!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh no Linda...but somehow I don't think you are the one raking the leaves. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Take care of that foot and yourself!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.