Monday, September 7, 2009

How did this happen?...Or a way to get out of work!!

So...this is what happened. I was on my way to work and stepped off the last step into the garage from the house. My sandal caught the door mat just right...or wrong...and I twisted my foot...in the shoe. There was a blinding flash of pain. I hobbled into the house, grabbed an ice pack, showed it to the husband and off to work I went. Well, by the time I got there, I had a hard time putting my foot down on the ground and there was a big lump on the side of my foot. I think at this time I should tell you that I changed shoes before I left for work.
Fortunately my company has a nurse practitioner on duty during the day, so I made it right down to her office where she proclaimed a torn ligament. She wrapped it up and gave me a script for an air splint. We have a friend who works in prosthetics and he was able to get me fixed up with that. So all this happening before noon, I felt like my day was shot!
Now it just so happens that our daughter ( who lives 2 hours away) is moving to a new home and we had planned to go to her house on Saturday to help her pack. That is where the "way to get out of work" part comes in!

We had a few laughs over that for sure. But since we were going to be there all day, I did what I do best. I baked. I made from scratch brownies using a recipe from Ellie Krieger. They are more cake like...a bit healthier...but the grandkids were not fans. Nothing like the boxed brownies, I guess.
I also made a Nectarine-Blueberry pie and that was a winner. This recipe had a hint of lemon in it. Really nice recipe that came out of Country Living magazine. I cheated a little and used a Pillsbury Ready Made Pie Crust, but the result was really luscious with all the fruit. So that fairly warm, fresh pie and some vanilla ice cream was the showstopper for our family and friends that day!

I am on the mend and hopefully this will heal fast so I can get back to my exercise!
Nectarine-Blueberry Pie

3 1/2 lbs nectarines (halved, pitted and sliced into 1/2 inch thick slices)
3/4 cup blueberries
1 cup sugar
1 tbsp supgar for sprinkling
3 Tbsp quick cooking tapioca
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1 tsp finely grated lemon zest
1 egg
1 Tbsp milk (beated with the above egg for egg wash)
Heat oven to 450 degrees and adjust rack to lower-middle position.
Place the nectarines in a large bowl and toss with the blueberries, 1 cup sugar, tapioca, lemon juice and lemon zest. Set aside for 15 minutes, the drain.
Fit one piece of pie dough into a 9-inch pie plate, fill with the fruit and top with the second piece of pie dough. Seal and flute edges and brush top with some egg wash.
Slice a few decorative slits into the top crust abd bake 10 minutes.
Reduce heat to 425 degrees and bake 25 minutes, then brush with more egg wash, sprinkle on 1 Tbsp sugar and continue to bake unto golden brown, about 5 more minutes.
Cool on a wire rack before serving.




5 comments:

  1. Oh no! I'm sorry you sprained your ankle. BUT I'm betting everyone was glad to have your baked goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Torn ligaments are painful injuries. Hope you are on the mend. Your pie sounds luscious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A torn ligament and you were still in the kitchen baking?! You're wonder woman. Hope your ankle gets better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sure you needed this little 'event' like a hole in the head Linda! You are a trouper, no doubt about it. I stepped off a kerb the wrong way when 7 mths. pregnant with Son #4, broke my ankle & then spend the next 8 weeks in plaster on crutches. The girls in the Delivery Suite spent most of the time laughing at the 'interesting' messages written on my plaster rather than 'assisting' me deliver the said son!
    Millie ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, dear, that sounds painful! I hope you are feeling better.

    The pie looks luscious!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.