This recipe comes straight out of the South Beach Diet Cookbook. They sound decadent and they taste decadent! When you are trying to watch carb intake, these are a great way to get a lot of protein to get you through the morning. I use turkey sausage all the time and have gotten so that I prefer it to regular. When I use it, I find that there is not the heavy feeling after eating it that you get from regular sausage. (My apologies to the pork industry.)
While the recipe calls to make 6 large "muffins", I have made these in a mini muffin pan and frozen them. When I need a quick "on the go" breakfast, I pop a couple of these babies out and nuke them a bit in the microwave. Also, if you like a little spice in your breakfast, add some crushed red pepper into the mix...woohoo! That will get your morning started! For more color, use sweet red peppers rather than green.
The mini version also works well on a brunch buffet or is a great item to take to tailgate party when you start early in the morning.
Sausage and Cheese Breakfast Cups - South Beach Diet Recipe
From the South Beach Diet Cookbook. Easy take along breakfast idea.
35 min 15 min prep
4 ounces turkey sausage or crumbled turkey bacon
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/4 onion, chopped
5 large eggs or 1 1/4 cups Egg Beaters egg substitute
1 (12 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained (TO MAKE MINI MUFFINS, USE CHOPPED MUSHROOMS)
1/2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese (2 oz.)
1. Preheat oven to 325°F.
2. Coat a 6 cup non-stick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.
3. In a medium non-stick skillet, cook the sausage, peppers, and onions for 5 minutes, or until sausage is no longer pink.
4. Spoon mixture and cool slightly.
5. Stir in eggs and mushrooms.
6. Evenly divide mixture into 6 muffin cups; Sprinkle with cheese.
7. Bake for 20 minutes, or until egg is set.