Saturday, March 13, 2010

Spicy Spaghetti with Fennel and Herbs

Has it really been 2 weeks since my last post? Talk about time flying! Seriously though, I have been pretty busy. Two of our kids were here over last weekend with their families and there is always so much to do...especially with 2 little boys! My husband left for Myrtle Beach last Saturday on his annual golf pilgrimage with a bunch of friends. I set my sights on doing some much needed organizing and enjoyed holding the remote a couple of evenings while I watched some favorite shows. Today reality is back as he will be home in a few hours.
So that has gotten me thinking more about cooking.

I did a detoxification this week....very healthy stuff, lots of fruits and vegetables, no starch, no sugar and lost 7 pounds...YAY! So now that I have gotten a jumpstart, I have to continue as spring is around the corner and so is SUMMER!!! Now my husband loves his Italian food and pasta, in modification, is OK. So I found a recipe in BonApptit that I think he and I will both love, that will be healthy and tasty. I plan to use DeBoles Jerusalem Artichoke Flour Pasta which I consider to be the closest to semolina pasta in flavor once you add your ingredients. So this is going to be tomorrow's dinner...not quite mama's Sunday spaghetti and meatballs, but a bit healthier version of pasta.

Spicy Spaghetti with Fennel and Herbs
1 3-oz pkg pancetta, chopped
1 Tbsp olive oil
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 large red jalapeno chiles, seeded, finely chopped (About 1/4 cup)
2 large fennel bulbs, stalks trimmed, cut into thin wedges with some core attached
1-1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
4 Tbsp finely chopped fresh Italian parsley, divided
2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
1-1/2 tsps. crushed fennel seeds
1 lb. spaghetti
2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
1-1/2 cups finely grated Pecorino Romano cheese, divided

Saute pancetta in large skillet over medium heat until pancetta is golden. Using slotted spoon, transfer pancetta to paper towels.
Add 1 Tbsp olive oil to drippings in skillet. Add garlic and chiles; saute ovr medium heat 1 minute.
Add fennel; cook until beginning to soften, 5 minutes. Mix in broth, 2 Tbsp parsley, lemon juice, and fennel seeds. Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until fennel is very tender, 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.
Cook pasta until tender; drain. Reserve 1 cup cooking liquid. Return pasta to pot.
Uncover skillet with fennel mixture and return to high heat. Cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, about 4 minutes.
Add fennel to pasta. Stir in 2 Tbsp olive oil, 1/2 cup cheese and pancetta.
Add cooking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if dry.
Toss pasta; transferr to serving bowl. Sprinkle 2 Tbsp parsley over and serve with grated cheese.

18 comments:

  1. First time visiting your blog...I LOVE that bird pic :) This spaghetti sounds really super!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooh, does this pasta sound sensational. So much goodness and flavor here. Big YUMSs up!! Thank you so much for sharing.

    Love the robin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been craving pasta lately so this dish has me drooling! Thanks for posting it.
    Congrats on the weight loss. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks fabulous & congrats on the weight loss! I am so glad I discovered your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. congrats on the 7 pound loss! I'm jealous. lol. ;o) Hope all is well down there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks really delicious! love fennel in everything!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great blog. Thanks for sharing this tasty recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi from the Foodie Blogroll! I love that this pasta salad has jalapenos in it. Perfect for summer on the patio.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This pasta looks and sounds delightful.As a matter of fact all your recipes look great. I'll be back often. I hope you are having a good day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just stopping by to say "howdy" and hope all is well with you.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Haven't heard from you in a long time. Hope you are okay!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh that looks delicious! Just wanted to let you know I used one of your recipes and linked to your blog today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This reminds me that I need to go on detoxification myself! But I don't think I'm ready, haha. Gosh, I wish I've got such a strong motivation! Especially when cooking, it's just as fun as eating!

    But thanks for sharing this recipe, maybe this'll be the start of my detoxification process, haha! If you don't mind I would like to share this as well to other Foodista readers if you don't mind. Just add the foodista widget for lemon juice at the end of this post and it's all set, Thanks!

    Keep em coming! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love your blog!

    This looks so delicious!

    Have a nice time!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a great comforting dish!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This looks wonderfully healthy! Delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This looks great! Just found your amazing blog!!! New follower!
    - Jessica @ http://cajunlicious.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.