Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Cheese Filled Endive

I love using Belgian endive in appetizer recipes and adding to salads. It is so crisp and fresh and not overpowering. When I saw this in a recent issue of Family Circle, I knew I had to add it to my holiday "pick-ons" list! It looks so pretty and takes no time at all to prepare. Placed on a pretty plate, it will look as though you really fussed! The mixture used to fill the endive leaf, would be handy to make ahead and keep in the fridge. You could stuff some celery for an after-school snack for the kids. Also, I think just putting out a bowl of this on an appetizer table with some nice crackers and celery stalks would be just fine as well. I think it is a versatile and delicious way to use two of my faves...blue cheese and dried cranberries.

Cheese-Filled Endive
8 oz. cream cheese (use Neufchatel)
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/2 cup chopped sweetened dried cranberries
2 TBSP milk.
Trim end from one head endive and separate leaves. Dollop 2 teaspoons cheese mixture onto each leaf. Serve.
The recipe also states that this pairs well with a medium dry sparkling wine such as Prosecco. I discovered how good this wine is a few years ago. If you have not tried it, it is bubbly like champagne, but fruity. It is a nice drink at cocktail hour and I agree that this would be a very good selection with this recipe.

3 comments:

  1. Linda, what a great stuffing/spread! And has so many ways of presenting it. Love the idea in the endive. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love to serve filled endive to guests. Tis really sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness that filling sounds scrumptious. How pretty to serve in an endive leaf. Good recipe for any occasion, year round, I think. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.