Monday, June 15, 2009

Lamb Chops for Dinner

Last night we had some wonderful lamb loin chops that I picked up at Price Chopper. I was originally going to make veal chops (which were on sale and they were out of), so I opted for these beautiful chops that were almost 2 inches thick. They were every bit as good as they looked. The whole meal was actually quite simple, but it looked elegant!
For the chops, I mashed some fresh garlic with kosher salt, added 2 Tbsp. of EVOO, a sprinkle of lemon zest and about a TBSP of chopped fresh rosemary from my herb garden. Then I slathered that all on the chops and put them in a plastic bag in the fridge for the rest of the day. They marinated a good 6 hours.

When we were ready for dinner, I put them under the broiler about 4-5 minutes per side. (I was too lazy to fire up the grill!) Perfect!

To serve with the chops, I chose orzo pasta. I put 2 Tbsp of butter in a heavy skillet and added a cup of orzo. I sauteed that until it started to get a bit golden. To this I added 14 oz. of water and 1/2 tsp of salt and brought it to a boil. I then turned down the heat and let it cook until all the water was absorbed. When the pasta was ready, I added some chopped fresh basil (again from my herb garden....did I mention that I love my herb garden?) and sprinkled in a little fresh Parmesan cheese. YUM! Added some fresh steamed broccoli on the side and we had a lovely dinner.

Since it was the weekend and I was in the cooking mode, I treated us to a fresh peach cobbler that was nice and warm when we ate it. The husband had his with Edy's Slow Churned Pecan Praline Ice Cream. It paired well since I had toasted some pecans and added them to the cobbler. None of this took a particularly long time, yet it was a dinner that was definitely company worthy. It only goes to prove that you don't have to be a slave in the kitchen to make a beautiful looking and delicious tasting meal.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds so good Linda! I love lamb and I love orzo. YUM! Makes me hungry just thinking about those two together.

    XOXO
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love lamb here too....well...the boys do! Grin. Garlic garlic and more garlic with lemon. Yum. Now I have never used rosemary with it so that is definitely something I will try. My herb garden is right outside my kitchen door and I can actually smell the rosemary as I type...so I am thinking a wee bit of harvest time is going to happen REAL soon! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh that does look as if it's done to a turn! I haven't cooked lamb in decades. Seeing how beautiful yours looks, I shall have to change that. That you for a delicious inspiration!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.