Friday, May 29, 2009

Lettuce Have Lunch Sometime!

Bibb lettuce makes wonderful little cups for appetizers. This recipe actually is for appetizers. Bibb is crunchy and light and has a kind of elegance when you serve it filled with something wonderful.
But this recipe can also be used as a luncheon dish. Rather than spooning the mixture into 12 individual leaves, place 1 or 2 larger leaves on a luncheon plate. Place a scoop of the chicken mixture in the center of the plate and garnish with chopped pistachios and a sprig of fresh mint. It makes a very healthy and light lunch. It's great for a light summer meal! I am growing all my own fresh herbs this summer so I can't wait to make this with my own home grown herbs and locally grown produce.


Greek Lettuce Cups
Stir together 1/2 cup finely chopped cooked chicken breast, 1 tablespoon finely shredded carrots, 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lime juice, 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano, 1/8 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper.

Gently mix in 2 tablespoons low-fat or reduced-fat plain yogurt and 2 teaspoons snipped fresh mint or basil.

Spoon the chicken mixture evenly onto 12 small Bibb lettuce leaves that you've torn from the inside of the lettuce head.

2 comments:

  1. LOL When I see a lettuce in a salad, I am reminded of the salad they served at my school, it was called "Honeymoon Salad ~ Lettuce Alone!!!"

    Your salad looks far more interesting and delicious. I just love chicken in a salad like this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds wonderful! YUM!


    I hope things are going well Linda! Have a great weekend!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.