Thursday, May 14, 2009

A Different Twist to Fusilli


I am back to talking about growing fresh herbs again! I found a recipe in La Cucina Italiana for Fusilli with Ricotta and Celery. The husband is a celery lover, and I have made a dish his grandmother used to make using boiled potatoes, celery and cannalini beans. It is a dish reminiscent of simpler times and was inexpensive to make. I also chop some celery into our salads because it gives extra flavor and crunch...and it is good for your bones! But I digress...back to the herbs. This particular recipe calls for fresh marjoram. It is not an often used herb, but I am going to grow some this year for something different. I can always dry it at the end of the growing season. I am going to try this over the weekend to see what it is like because it sounds like a lovely fresh recipe. I am also interested by the intermixing of the textures...the pasta, the creaminess of the ricotta and the crunchy celery. I think the husband will like this, so I will let you know next week if it is thumbs up or thumbs down! I think it will be a winner though! Mangia!

Fusillio Lunghi con Ricotta e Sedano (Long fusilli with ricotta and celery)
Coarse sea salt
12 oz. fresh ricotta cheese
1/4 cup whole milk
2 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil plus more for drizzling
7 pale inner (white) celery stalks, leaves removed and reserved
3 Tbsp. fresh marjoram leaves plus more for garnish
Freshly ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta until al dente.
Meanwhile, stir together ricotta, milk and oil in a large serving bowl.
Julienne or very thinly slice celery stalks and add to bowl. Add marjoram and celery leaves. When pasta is ready, drain and immediately add to serving bowl.
Toss ingredients together and season with salt and pepper.
Garnish with marjoram leaves, drizzle with olive oil and serve immediately.
La Cucina Italiana, June 2009

2 comments:

  1. Sounds good Linda and so different! I love fusillio - I bought some last week and the kids just loved it with spaghetti sauce. It's so cute and funny looking!

    XOOX
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just about everything is good with ricotta, in my opinion, LOL. I didn't know that about the celery being good for your bones. That is reason enough for me to eat the celery that I consistently ignore in my fridge. I can never think of any interesting ways to use it, so this is a great find for us. Thank you for posting. I'm looking forward to hearing your verdict.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.