Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Sangria for Cinco De Mayo

This is another idea for your Cinco de Mayo party! I admit to taking shortcuts and buying prepared sangria from the liquor store and adding fruit. Simple and easy especially when you are pressed for time. But, when you can take the time, there is nothing that can compare to making your own and this is a recipe that I found quite awhile ago and is really good. I try to rationalize drinking this as having all those nice healthy fruits in there!! OK, so they become happy fruits. But if you are having some friends over for a little Mexican fiesta, give this a try. If you double the recipe , put it in a punch bowl. It looks very pretty.


Best Party Sangria Recipe
Perfect for big parties, you may want to double the recipe.

1 bottle of red wine (Cabernet, Rioja or Red Zinfandel....I like the Rioja)
1 lemon cut into wedges
1 orange cut into wedges
1 lime cut into wedges
2 Tbsp sugar
Splash of orange juice
2 shots of gin
1 cup of sliced strawberries or raspberries (you can use frozen, but I like fresh better
1 small can of diced pineapples with juice
4 cups of ginger ale


Pour wine into a large pitcher and squeeze the juice wedges from the lemon , orange and lime into the wine. Toss in the fruit wedges, leaving out the seeds. Add the diced pineapple, sugar, orange juice and gin. Chill overnight. The next day, add ginger ale, berries and ice just before serving. I usually do this in a punch bowl. Remember, the best sangrias are chilled around 24 hours in the fridge to allow the flavors to really marinate into each other.

6 comments:

  1. I love sangria! Soon as the weather is warm enough, I like to make it quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I can see me sipping one of these while sitting under my umbrella on the back deck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like a great recipe. I cheat and use Real brand Sangria and add fruit. But yours is truly better for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw Bobby Flay making Sangeria on his show, I really want to make this this summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ohhh Linda...This looks really good! I am picturing a party on the patio! I scrolled down and looked at the goat cheese salad...yum!! Your food always looks so pretty and healthy. Will you come cook at my house?? lol I hope you are having a good week!...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooo la la, this looks DEVINE! I want some Sangeria now! Mouth is watering, wiping away drool.

    Jenifer
    Fellow Foodie Blogger

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.