Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Color my World with Salad

I think I could live on different types of salads. I am always on the lookout for different ideas. I love to mix and match vegetables and fruits and experiment with the different flavors of vinegars, oils and ingredients in dressings.
I NEVER BUY BOTTLED! For some reason, I can't even think of buying a bottled dressing. Maybe it is because of preservatives or the fact that I just prefer to KNOW what is going into my dressing, I always make my own. I made a beautiful side vegetable on Easter Sunday which I will share in another post. It included sauteed radishes. And it was delicate and delicious. So now I am on a radish kick. And tonight's salad includes radishes.

This is going to be our salad tonight. One of the things I am anxious for is the local Farmer's Market so I can buy locally. There is nothing better than the fresh produce from your local grower. Or maybe you grow your own beautiful veggies. Bring in the Northeast, our season is short so we value whatever we grow and savor it when we can finally taste our crop. My husband and I have a small garden with tomatoes and garlic. In addition I grow many of my own fresh herbs. I dry these so I can have them throughout the winter, but use them fresh in the summer and into the early fall. But, for tonight's salad I have to rely on my local grocer.
So when you think of preparing a salad, think beyond iceberg lettuce. Make it colorful and healthy. Your eyes and your belly will say thanks.

RAW SPRING VEGETABLE SALAD WITH GOAT CHEESE
2 medium carrots
1/4 cup thinly sliced small spring onion
1 (8-oz.) bunch of radishes with tops
1 TBSP. thinly sliced fresh basil
2 TBSP. fresh lemon juice
1 TBSP extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 tsp fine sea salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
1 (4-oz) pkg. goat cheese, cut into 8 slices


Shave carrots into ribbons with a vegetable peeler to measure 2 cups.
Combine carrots and onion in a large bowl.
Wash radishes and radish greens thoroughly; drain and pat dry. Cut radishes into thin slices to equal 1-3/4 cups; thinly slice radish greens to equal 1 cup.
Add radishes, radish greens, basil and next 4 ingredients (through pepper) to carrot mixture; toss gently to coat.
Arrange goat cheese on a serving platter; top with salad. Serve immediately. Yield: 4 servings. Source: Cooking Light, April 2009

4 comments:

  1. I love radishes, too, but growing up in our mother's household, we ate them only with soy sauce. Now isn't it silly of me to never have thought to put them in a salad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always try to make my own dressing salad too because it's more healthy and fresh :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love salads. I could live on them in the Summer! Thanks for the recipe Linda! I agree, homemade dressing is so much better!

    XOOX
    Jen

    PS - Have you dug up your prom pics yet? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom loves radish in her salads!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.