Tuesday, March 31, 2009

I Love to Cook, But Would Rather Be Outside!

I am a big fan of getting lots of color in our meals. There is nothing fun about eating a dinner that is drab looking. I love to mix the vibrant colors of foods for a beautiful presentation that will also be packed with vitamins. This recipe came out of Better Homes and Gardens issue and does present very nicely. It is low in fat, provides good fiber and is high in iron and lycopene. The next time I make this, I am going to try substituting the brown sugar with pourable brown sugar Splenda to reduce the sugar. One thing for sure, it is a nice, easy weeknight dinner. When the weather gets nice, we want to be outside gardening, walking or biking...doing something fun. This will get you out of the kitchen quickly and with a happy tummy!
PAN-FRIED CHICKEN WITH TOMATO JAM
1 pint grape tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes, but I find the grape tomatoes are sweeter)
1 Tbsp packed brown sugar
3/4 cup quick cooking polenta mix
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup buttermilk
4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
1 9-oz. pkg fresh spinach
Salt/Pepper
Canola Oil
Pierce tomatoes with a knife. Place in microwave safe bowl; sprinkle with brown sugar. Cover loosely. Microwave on high for 3 minutes or until skins burst and tomatoes are soft, stirring once. Set aside. This can be made a day ahead of time and heated through just before serving. In saucepan bring 2 1/2 cups water and 1 tsp salt to boiling; stir in polenta. Reduce heat; cook five minutes, stirring often. In shallow dish combine flour with 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper; add buttermilk to another dish. Dip chicken in the buttermilk and then the seasoned flour. Heat 3 Tbsp Canola oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken. Cook 4 minutes per side or until no pink remains; remove. Drain pan drippings. Add spinach; cook until just wilted. Season to taste. Serve chicken with spinach, polenta and tomato jam.

8 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy and looks vibrant! I received a card in the mail from your mom today! It was nice to hear from her. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linda...This looks like something my family would love! I have used the brown sugar Splenda and I can't tell the difference! I hope you are having a great week!...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, that looks delicious and I love how colorful it is - yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful meal with the red and green! How is the weather there Linda? Ours is horrible. It's been snowing for 2 weeks and another storm is coming in tonight. I am ready for Spring and hoping to plant my garden if the snow will ever go away!

    Hope you are having a good week!

    XOXO'
    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so delicious. I love the use of all these ingredients. It looks absolutely wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a wonderful looking meal! I haven't had tomato jam in years.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The saying that "you eat with your eyes first" hold true with this. It looks gorgeous AND delicious. Great recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.