Thursday, March 12, 2009

Garlic-Onion Tortilla Cake

A few weeks ago I received my first issue of The Food Network magazine. Oh my.....I could try something new daily! But for our party this Sunday, we need something for the "big kids" too...otherwise known as adults. I found two great recipes that Guy Fieri has featured in the Feb/Mar '09 issue. One is an appetizer and the other is a dessert. Today I am posting the appetizer. For those of you who are garlic lovers, this should make you very happy. I have told you in a previous post that we grow our own garlic. Our whole family loves garlic so this recipe should go over well. Even our grandchildren like garlic pizza, otherwise known to them as white pizza. Our other appetizer is going to be a 7-layer taco dip, so this will fit in nicely with the overall theme. Wish me luck!!
Garlic-Onion Tortilla Cake

FOR THE ROASTED GARLIC
4 whole heads garlic
1 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
FOR THE TORTILLA CAKE
1 cup canola oil
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 Tbsp sugar
5 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
1/4 cup mayonnaise
2 Tbsp minced fresh cilantro
12 large flour tortillas
2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
1. Prepare the roasted garlic. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cut the top 1/2 in. off the garlic heads and discard. Place the heads on a large piece of foil and drizzle with the olive oil. Wrap up foil tightly; place the package in a small baking dish. Roast until the garlic is soft and lightly browned, 1 hour.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the tortilla cake: Combine the canola oil and onions in a large saute pan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring (don't over brown). Add the butter and sugar; cook stirring to caramelize. Remove from the heat and let cool.

3. Once cooled, mix the onions with the Parmesan, mayonnaise and cilantro in a bowl. Squeeze the roasted garlic out of their skins and stir into the onion mixture. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.

4. Set aside 1/3 of the onion mixture in the refrigerator for the dipping sauce. Spread 2 Tablespoons of the remaining mixture on top of a tortilla and cover with another tortilla. Repeat, spreading and stacking the tortillas; finish with a tortilla with no mixture on top. Wrap the tortilla stack in plastic wrap and let set up for 12 to 24 hours in the refrigerator.

5. After the stack has set up, cut into 16 wedges. Preheat a grill or grill pan; warm wedges over medium heat until both sides are marked. Combine the reserved onion mixture with the balsamic vinegar to make the dipping sauce.

4 comments:

  1. I definitely love garlic! I think I remember seeing Guy make this. It looks really good! I think it will be a winner at your party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ohhh, my! garlic and onion! what a delicious meal :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds really great - I love garlic anyway!! I also love to watch Guy's show....when I get to have the TV! ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Linda...You post more wonderful recipes than I can keep up with! This looks so good and so does that Thin Mint pie!! Yuuum! You should do Foodie Friday over at Gollum's. Have a great weekend...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.