Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Fusilli with Sausage, Artichokes and Sun Dried Tomatoes


I was looking for a recipe a few months ago so I could use a package of turkey sausage that I had bought. My search took me here, and I can tell you that my family all loved it. Not only is it good, it is easy, and during the week when time is short, that is what I mostly look for. The melding of all the flavors is amazing, and if you have some left over, it is even better after it has sat overnight!

Last night I went to my NIA exercise class. For those of you who have never heard of it, here is the link http://nianow.com/. It is a combination of various movements, easy on the joints, but quite a workout...and fun! Now if I could only look as graceful as our instructor, I would be happy! But we laugh and enjoy and find peace through movement. It is the one thing I really look forward to doing for myself each week. Anyway, last night, the husband made leftovers for dinner. After having a weekend full of kids and grandkids (who all left yesterday), we had to clean out the fridge from all the littles of this and that. Since I came home later, it worked out great and now the fridge is ready for more!

So tonight it is this fusilli recipe and a nice glass of wine. Hope you enjoy your Tuesday!
Fusilli with Sausage, Artichokes, and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Recipe courtesy Giada De Laurentiis

3/4 cup drained oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
2 tablespoons of oil reserved 1 pound Italian hot sausages ( I used turkey hot sausage) cut into chunks
2 (8-ounce) packages frozen artichoke hearts (use from the jar and you don’t need this much,
eyeball what you like)
2 large cloves garlic, chopped
1- 3/4 cups chicken broth
1/2 cup dry white wine
16 ounces fusilli pasta
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan, plus additional for garnish
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves
8 ounces water-packed fresh mozzarella, drained and cubed, optional( I sprinkled low-fat shredded over the top when I served and omitted the cubes)
Salt and freshly ground pepper

Heat the oil reserved from the tomatoes in a heavy large frying pan over medium-high heat.
Add the sausages and cook until brown , about 8 minutes.
Transfer the sausage to a bowl.
Add the artichokes and garlic to the same skillet, and saute over medium heat until the garlic is tender, about 2 minutes.
Add the broth, wine, and sun-dried tomatoes. Boil over medium-high heat until the sauce reduces slightly, stirring occasionally, about 8 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
Cook the fusilli in boiling water until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
Drain the pasta (do not rinse).
Add the pasta, sausage, 1/2 cup Parmesan, basil, and parsley to the artichoke mixture.
Toss until the sauce is almost absorbed by the pasta.
Stir in the mozzarella. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Serve, passing the additional Parmesan cheese alongside.

10 comments:

  1. Even the name of the recipe sounds yummy! I love all of the ingredients, so it must be good!...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great and the exercise class sounds like fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This does sound delicious! Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me a nice note. I'm going to look for that recipe on your blog. It sounds good too. laurie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for adding me to your "Favorite Blogs" list, Linda. I was happy to add you to mine as well. This recipe looks delicious. Giada has such great ideas, and she is so darling too! I am going to go check out the NIA exercise. I have never heard of it! It's so important to find a form of exercise that you look forward to, that way you may actually keep up with it!
    Stay Cozy, Carrie

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds so good, I'll have to check that link out too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have made this recipe on several occasions and love it every time. Yours looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good evening, this looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I so appreciate your visit and kind words. I'm glad you like the grape themed tablescape. I hope you're having a super Tuesday. hugs ~lynne~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delicious fusilli!!! I wish I could reach through and have some! I have never heard of NIA -- it sounds like a good workout though.

    Have a happy night!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks wonderful! I love pasta with sun-dried tomatoes. They are actually hard to find here.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made this recipe a few months ago, we loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by to share your thoughts! I am so glad you took time to visit me.